Answer ID: 1449
What do you suggest to help keep my domains secure and my investments protected?
We take security very seriously. It is our top priority that your domains and services remain safe in your account, available to you 24/7. And while our security is very robust, pitfalls such as weak passwords and malware acquired from other sites can compromise the safety of not only your account, but all of your online accounts.
With that in mind, here are some tips to keep your online experience safe:
- Use a unique and complex password. Do not use "password" or your user name as the password.
- When setting a password, a combination of alphanumeric characters and symbols is best.
- These are the symbols that can be used for passwords with us: * @ - _ . /
- If you have multiple accounts, please choose a unique password for each account.
- Do not use the same password for your email or hosting accounts, as you use for your main domain account.
- Change your passwords frequently.
- If you are using a domain name that you control for the email address on your account, please do not allow the domain name to expire.
- Keep the registrar lock enabled on your domains.
- Be sure to select a Secret Question/Answer that only you are able to supply in case you forget your password.
- Only provide your login/password to colleagues and trusted family members that are authorized to access your account.
- When an employee leaves or is terminated, be sure to change your password and secret answer right away.
Account Validation adds an additional layer of security to your account, which makes it much more difficult for malicious parties to access your account. When Account Validation is enabled, the login process requires correct answers to identity verification questions, in addition to the usual login ID and password. Please see the article "Account Validation FAQ's" for more information.
ID Protect provides proxy contact information for the gated WHOIS system, keeping your information more private. Please see articles "ID Protect: FAQ's" and "How to Purchase ID Protect".
Two Step Verification allows you to add an additional layer of security to your account. With two-step verification, you open a trusted app on your smartphone to generate a dynamic security code, and use that code to login into your account. See the article "How to Set Up Two Step Verification" for more information.