How do I upload files to my web hosting account?
Before uploading your files, please follow the instructions in the article, "Web Hosting: Associate Domain Name with Hosting Account". After that has been completed, please follow the below instructions.
Option 1 - Upload Files via FTP (works for individual files or multiples files at once (entire website)):
- Download and install an FTP client.
- Filezilla is a popular and free client.
- Login to the FTP server - you will need the FTP host name, user name, and password
- The FTP hostname / IP address:
- The hostname can be found in the top right corner of Plesk, next to "subscription......"
- The IP address for the website can be found in the Plesk settings for the domain, in "Web Hosting Access".
- The default FTP username will use the username and password you setup for the hosting account. The username can be found in the top right of the Plesk control panel, where it says "logged in as _____".
- FTP username and password information can be changed by following the steps here: Change FTP Username and Password for Linux Hosting
- Port number: leave blank or try port 21
- The FTP hostname / IP address:
- Use FTP protocol. Disable any encryption like "TLS" (Encryption is not supported)
- Upload files into the root directory of your website. Find the root directory in Plesk, in "Websites and Domains", under the domain it will say "Website at ..........". Change the root directory for the website in the same section, by going to "Hosting Settings".
- By default, the root directory will be the domain name, e.g. example.com
Option 2 - Upload Files via the Plesk File Manager
NOTE: This method is not recommended for larger files.
- Login to the Plesk Web Hosting Control Panel (see Web Hosting: How to Access the Control Panel).
- Click "Files" on the left side to open the File Manager.
- In the File Manager, click on the root directory for your website (by default this will be the domain name).
- Click on "Upload" At the top of the page.
- Select the file on your computer to upload.
Option 3: Upload entire website using Plesk (zipped folder):
To upload an entire website from your computer to the Plesk server by using File Manager, follow these steps:
- On your computer, add the folder containing your website’s files to an archive or zipped folder (right-click the folder and select "Send To > Compressed (zipped) Folder") from the context menu.
- In the Customer Panel, go to Files, click the folder where you want to upload click "Upload", select the archive file, and click "Open".
- Once the file has been uploaded, click the checkbox next to it and select the "Extract Files" option.
If you want to edit pages of your website, you can do it in File Manager. It provides an HTML editor that allows visual editing of HTML pages (without needing to manually type HTML tags). To edit a file in the HTML editor, place the mouse pointer over the file, click to open the file's context menu, and select Edit in HTML Editor.
You can also edit files in the File Manager's text editor. To open a file in the text editor, click to open the file's context menu, and select Edit in Text Editor.
If you have files or web pages that you want to make inaccessible on the Internet, change these files' access permissions in File Manager. To edit access permissions for a file or a directory, click to open the context menu, and select "Change Permissions". To learn how to review and edit the permissions, refer to the section Setting File and Directory Access Permissions.
Learn more about uploading and editing website files and folders with File Manager in the Website Content section.